Danish Sardine and Onion Smørrebrødis the taste of summer on a platter
- 4 slices pumpernickel or rye bread crusts trimmed
- 4 tsp butter at room temperature 20 ml
- 1 4 oz can sardines drained, 110 g
- 8 pimiento-stuffed green olives sliced
- 4 slices onion paper-thin
- 4 slices lemon paper-thin
- 4 sprigs fresh dill or parsley
- Spread the bread with butter, being careful to cover the bread completely.
- Divide the sardines and olives between the pieces of bread and top each with a slice of onion.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and a sprig of fresh herb.